“Being unemployed is the true test of who you really are.”
~Ernie J. Zelinski
Imagine being sent to a beautiful island, a vacation away from your employment status, but you no longer are working due to unforeseeable circumstances. So you find yourself in this imaginary place, but wait, you are there of no will of your own. I say imaginary, but the reality is you are in your home trying to make sense of it all and move forward. No one deserves to lose their job but you must decide which way to cope; you pick yourself up and fight or stay down and get run over. Personally, I choose to fight!
You are in survival mode, but you begin to create a plan.
- File for re-employment
- Keep a log of prospective employment applications/ leads
- Create a daily routine; just because you are home does not mean you will let everything go
- Remember that your unemployed status is your job; in other words, it is your daily task to look for work
- To avoid burn out plan something different for each day, incorporate activity in between your job searches
- Stay connected with family and friends for support during your journey
- Keep a journal
Remember, life on “Unemployed Island” does not mean being in the land of misery. Keep your eye on that golden nugget-a new job!